Programme Advisor: Peace Building
Head of Programs
Minimum: Bachelor’s (or equivalent), Masters an added advantage.
1 year with possibility of renewal subject to availability of funding and performance review
I. INTRODUCTION OF NORWEGIAN CHURCH AID – NCA
Norwegian Church Aid is an independent humanitarian and ecumenical organization with headquarters in Oslo, Norway. Norwegian Church Aid works together with people and organizations across the world to eradicate poverty and injustice. NCA provides emergency assistance in disasters and works for long-term development in local communities. In order to address the root causes of poverty, NCA advocates for just decisions by public authorities, business and religious leaders. We help those whose needs are greatest, regardless of ethnicity, creed, political or religious affiliation.
NCA is a member of the ACT Alliance, one of the world’s largest humanitarian alliances, with presence in over 130 countries. The alliance consists of church-based organisations throughout the world and cooperates with organisations across religious faiths. We are now seeking an engaged colleague who will work with us “Together for a just world”.
NCA has been operating in Somalia since 1993. NCA Somalia’s country strategy 2020-2024 covers five thematic areas: Climate Resilient Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (CRWASH), Gender Based Violence (GBV), Peace Building, Climate Smart Economic Empowerment and Education for Sustainable Development (PB). Peace Building is a new thematic area for NCA under the current strategic period. The Peace Building Programme will be implemented in Jubaland State, Puntland State and Banadir Regional Administration.
II. GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY
NCA is seeking an experienced and dynamic Peacebuilding advisor who will contribute to achieving the program’s vision by taking on the overall responsibility of a successful implementation of the Peace Building program. As Peace Building Advisor, you will support NCA and implementing partners in the overall development and management of the peace building and advocacy activities in line with the Country’s strategic plan, National and State Development plans, and NCA’s policies and strategies ensuring quality, participation, inclusion and accountability.
The PB Advisor will report to the Head of Programs. The position is a one year contract with possibility of extension depending on funding availability. The position is based in Somalia with frequent travel within Somalia. This is a nationally recruited position.
The Peace Building Advisor will conduct ongoing analysis of evolving conflicts to inform program strategy and implementation, will provide guidance on and engage herself/himself in capacity development support provided to partners and other stakeholders, will ensure conflict sensitivity and incorporation of a do-no-harm approach throughout project activities of NCA Somalia. He/she will contribute to ensuring successful functioning of project activities, development of technical tools and resources, annual work planning and budgeting, programmatic reporting, fundraising, proposal writing and sharing of insights and lessons learned with internal and external stakeholders, as appropriate and ensure networking/coordination with other actors working on peace Building in the targeted areas.
III. ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Key Areas of Responsibility
1. Strategy and Programme Development
2. Program planning, coordination and implementation
3. Monitoring and reporting
4. Financial management
5. Networking and coordination
1. Strategy and Program Development
· Contribute to the development of a sectorial strategy based on a strong contextual understanding of Somalia and in line with NCA values.
· Set and align peacebuilding programme targets in line with the NCA country strategy and Somalia National Development Plan.
· Provide effective leadership in the development and efficient implementation of NCA Peace Building programme in close collaboration with NCA Head of Programmes.
· Ensure inclusion of technical staff and other key stakeholders into strategy process.
· Promote the development of a holistic strategy through creating linkages with other NCA’s programs.
· Support the development of quality Peace Building project proposals for donor funding, adhering to the various donor requirements and ensure that quality reports are prepared and submitted in good time
2. Program planning, coordination and implementation
· Provide effective leadership in the development and efficient implementation of NCA peace building programmes in close collaboration with NCA head of programmes.
· Design and develop peacebuilding programs which are adaptive and responsive to dynamics of Somalia context
· Ensure that peacebuilding activities happen according to NCA annual plans and as per programme objectives and implementation plans
· Establish strategies of systems strengthening and of capacity building of different stakeholders including NCA’s partners and local Civil Society Organizations (CSO) in the promotion of peaceful conflict transformation and mitigation for a sustainable peace building.**
· Work specifically on supporting youth and women’s confidence and self-esteem and advocate and lobby with many stakeholders, namely the peace structures/community leaders/religious leaders for the promotion of women’s youth’s participation in peace structures for conflict prevention.
· Liaise and collaborate with NCA’s regional peace program for advocacy towards regional actors, and with NCA HO for dialogue with Norwegian authorities for advocacy towards the EU and other influential donors
· Develop, in collaboration with and support of the Head of Program, advocacy agendas related to conflict root causes that may be relevant to the CRWASH, CSEE, GBV, and Education projects.
· Establish linkages and coordinate with research institutions in conducting evidence-based and community-centred advocacy agendas aimed at sustaining peace
3. Monitoring and Reporting
· In collaboration with the PMER Advisor, develop an M&E plan and tools for the Peace building Programme as per the Results Frame.
· Oversee ongoing monitoring, tracking and reporting of progress in accordance with common performance indicators and quality standards as per project agreements with partners and donors.
· Conduct regular project monitoring and provide feedback to PMER team for adjustment as need arises.
· Organize and coordinate programme and partner planning and review meetings.
· Support peace mapping exercise and other peace related assessments in target communities and document lessons learnt**
· Support the implementation of conflict sensitive approaches in peace projects and the integration of the same in other NCA projects at the national level and community levels.**
· Contribute in documentation of success stories and human-interest stories and other anecdotal information to enhance quality of peacebuilding programmes**
· Ensure field and partner reports are prepared and submitted on time for review and feedback.
4. Financial Management
· Ensure that the Peace Building programme is managed within the approved budgets and timeframes, and in accordance with NCA financial guidelines and procedures.
· Verify expenses incurred by the programme against approved budgets for peacebuilding programme
· Review monthly financial statements and explain variances on regular basis
· Monitor project implementation in accordance with grant agreements and budgets
5. Networking and Coordination
· Represent NCA in relevant peace building working groups, meetings and other forums where issues of peace and conflict are articulated with other stakeholders.
· Work closely with all peacebuilding partners and coordinate with other Peace Building actors. **
· Ensure linkage between Peace Building and other NCA Somalia’s programmes are well coordinated
IV. Professional Qualifications
· Minimum Bachelor Degree in field related to peace and conflict prevention, management and resolution; political science & international relations; democracy and governance; international development. (Master an added advantage)
· Minimum of 5-7 years of experience working in managing related projects, in range of organizations, working experience for faith-based organizations have added value.
· Knowledge and understanding of national conflict dynamics in Somalia.
· Strong communication skills with diverse groups of stakeholders with different levels of seniority and ability to maintain and nurture relationships and key partnerships.
· Demonstrated ability to manage sensitive initiatives and situations.
· Fluent in Somali and English
· Excellent analytical, communication and report writing skills.
· Experience in proposal development and fundraising
· Excellent report writing skills.
· Ability to work with multi-disciplinary teams.
· Strong personal integrity and commitment to accountability.
· Able to work independently, able to prioritize and be self-motivated.
Applicants, who meet the requirements and qualifications outlined above, should submit an application letter indicating current and expected remuneration, a detailed C.V. and copies of their certificates and any other supporting documents to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 5th June 2020.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
NCA is an equal opportunity employer and women, people with disabilities, and those from marginalized backgrounds are highly encouraged to apply.