Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID/Somalia Bar ama Baro (BAB) Program works to increase access to quality education for a targeted number of out-of-school children and youth (ages 8-15) in specific regions of Somalia. The program will work to increase student enrollment in alternative education program sites, improve their safety, monitor acquisition of literacy, numeracy, and socio-emotional skills among the learners who enroll in them, and enhance the Federal Government of Somalia’s capacity to regulate them.
The Outreach and Communications Manager will be responsible for leading, directing, and managing the public affairs and outreach and communications operations of the USAID-funded Bar amo Baro education program.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Outreach and Communications Manager will report directly to the Chief of Party.
- Create and implement a comprehensive communications strategy/outreach plan that utilizes relevant channels for the dissemination of information on project activities and their results;
- Advise and counsel the staff on public relations techniques impacting program activities including potential problems and opportunities in the various communities served;
- Provide appropriate materials to the USAID Mission about the program that may be used for dissemination on Mission web pages, other USAID Missions, visiting delegations and to HQ;
- Write and supervise the writing and disseminating of success stories, feature stories, news releases and selected reports (such as USAID quarterly and annual reports, among others);
- Write and supervise the writing of the annual work plan, including engagement of all BAB partners (i.e. Save the Children International (SCI), Charlie Goldsmith Associates (CGA), ORB International (ORB), and SIL-LEAD) to ensure their timely contributions and follow up clarifications ensuring a comprehensive, holistic and integrated BAB workplan;
- Produce content for use on social media and manage these outlets;
- Identify and work with outside contractors, such as photographers, videographers and other communications professionals, to meet the goals of program;
- Produce posters, signs, displays, media campaigns, etc.;
- Implement the USAID Branding Strategy and Marking Plan for the program;
- Support the Chief of Party (COP) in consolidating the program’s reporting requirements and maintaining a real-time tracker of the Deliverables Schedule (per contract);
- Ensure that reports are submitted to USAID in a timely manner and with the utmost quality (i.e. accurate data);
- Identify and write Medium and Exposure contributions that meet USAID’s standards;
- Organize outreach events;
- Collaborate with the HQ Communications team;
- Train and mentor staff to ensure they are providing the Communications team with the requisite information to better inform programming, outreach/messaging and reporting;
- Other tasks as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of four (4) years of work experience in Communications or other relevant fields;
- Prior experience working in communications, outreach and or reporting role with a USAID funded program (preferably a contract);
- Working knowledge of ADS320 and the Graphics Standard Manual;
- Experience supporting large project communications departments and activities;
- Experience in social media management and content production;
- Experience in developing communications strategies/plans;
- Experience in training and or mentoring staff;
- Experience in dealing with media companies/organizations;
- Language: English proficiency (verbal and written) required;
- Strong English writing and editing skills;
- Must work well under pressure, with changing priority work tasks, while still able to produce quality deliverables.
Desired Skill and Qualification:
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or other graphic design programs.