Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The USAID/Somalia Bar ama Baro (BAB) Program works to increase access to quality education for a targeted number of out-of-school children and youth (ages 8-15) in specific regions of Somalia. The program will work to increase student enrollment in alternative education program sites, improve their safety, monitor acquisition of literacy, numeracy, and socio-emotional skills among the learners who enroll in them, and enhance the Federal Government of Somalia’s capacity to regulate them.
The Outreach and Communications Manager will be responsible for leading, directing, and managing the public affairs, reporting, marking and branding, and outreach/messaging operations of the USAID-funded Bar amo Baro education program.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Outreach and Communications Manager will report directly to the Chief of Party.
- Create and implement a comprehensive communications strategy and outreach plan that utilizes relevant channels, including online and social media, for the dissemination of information on program activities and their results;
- Advise and counsel the staff on public relations techniques impacting program activities including, but not limited to, potential problems and opportunities in the various communities served;
- Provide appropriate materials to the USAID Mission, and others, e.g. US Embassy, about the program that may be used for dissemination on Mission web pages, other USAID Missions, visiting delegations, and to HQ;
- Write and supervise the writing and disseminating of medium and exposure stories, feature stories, news releases, blogs and selected reports (such as USAID ad hoc, weekly, quarterly and annual reports);
- Produce content for use on social media and manage these outlets;
- Identify and work with outside contractors, such as photographers, videographers and other communication professionals, to meet the goal, objectives, and performance metrics of the program;
- Produce posters, signs, displays, media campaigns, etc. in support of program activities.
- Implement the BAB Program USAID-approved Branding Strategy and Marking Plan (aka Branding and Marking Plan) for the program;
- Support the Chief of Party (COP) in consolidating the program’s reporting requirements and maintaining a ‘living’ deliverables tracker to ensure timely development, review, and submission of all deliverables, including ad hoc requests;
- Ensure that reports, of a quality nature with accurate information, are submitted to USAID in a timely manner, per contract schedule;
- Identify and develop all program information dissemination vehicles that meet USAID’s standards, especially as relates to ADS 320;
- Organize outreach events as and when needed;
- Collaborate with HQ Communications team;
- Manage an Outreach and Communications Officer (OCM) and ensure they are groomed throughout coaching and mentoring for professional development and completion of all work deliverables in a timely and quality manner;
- Be willing to be trained and to train others, e.g. staff, community stakeholders, among others, in appropriate aspects of your work to increase awareness, transparency, and competency;
- Develop quarterly, annual, etc. workplans based on contractual requirements and the inputs of BAB colleagues and the ministry of education, culture, and higher education (MoECHE), including TVET-NFE Directorate, inputs and Creative home office and USAID feedback; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- A minimum of six (6) years of work experience in Communications or other relevant fields;
- Experience supporting large, preferably USAID-funded contracts, program communications departments and activities;
- Experience in social media management and content production;
- Experience in developing communications strategies/plans;
- Experience in training and/or mentoring staff (willing to train and be trained);
- Experience in dealing with media companies/organizations;
- Language: English (professional-level oral and written, including editing) is required; and
- Practical experience of directly engaging USAID, e.g. COR and/or Comms Office, to provide program updates as well as address communications/outreach/reporting issues.
Desired Skills and Qualifications:
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or other graphic design programs.