CALL FOR EXPRESSIONs OF INTEREST
The purpose of this notice & call is to survey the interest of the market and to identify potentially suitable economic operators that are willing to tender for the procurement procedure for which the following details are hereby provided. This notice & call and its annexes are published and available for download before the deadline from the Contracting Authority website (https://www.eucap-som.eu/business-opportunities/).
Instructions to express the interest:
Disclaimer: This notice does not bind the Contracting Authority to launch/award a procurement procedure. Economic operators may express their interest exclusively at their own expenses; they are not entitled to claim any compensation before the contract is signed (ref. Art. 171 of the Financial Regulation 2018).**
1. Procurement reference
PROC_ECS_2020_160 “Project – National Legal Adviser to the Field Office Garowe”
3. Contracting Authority
4. Partner Country
Federal Republic of Somalia
5. Type/nature of contract
6. Contract description
6.1. Overall goal
The overall goal of the project to provide support to the Puntland State institutions in relation to:
1) The legislative process and initial implementation of the Anti-piracy law draft that has been prepared by the Ministry of Justice, Constitutional and Religious Affairs, and Rehabilitation of Puntland under guidance of EUCAP Somalia in order to amend Puntland Anti-piracy law of 2010;
2) The implementation of videoconferencing into Puntland court operations, driven by the Supreme Court of Puntland in its capacity of the administrative body tasked with the organization of the court system.
6.2. Specific objectives
1) Provide EUCAP Somalia- Field Office Garowe’s advisers with expertise and advice on Sharia law and customary law on issues related to:
a. Legislative work on the Anti-piracy law;
b. Practical implementation of videoconferencing into court proceedings.
2) Participate in meetings, workshops, conferences and other events related to the issues indicated in 6.2.1. a and 6.2.1.b and, when feasible:
a. Present and explain to key players in the legislative process international standards and solutions prepared under EUCAP Somalia’s guidance, with special focus on their compliance with Sharia principles;
b. Present and explain to Puntland judges and prosecutors international legal standards relevant for videoconferencing in court proceedings, with special focus on right to defence, right of the injured party, and public access to justice.
3) Report to EUCAP Somalia:
a. Any progress or lack of progress on the course of legislative process in regards Anti-piracy law;
b. Status of implementation of videoconferencing into court proceedings, especially in regards compliance or non-compliance with fair trial principles listed in 6.2.2.b.
4) Advise EUCAP Somalia experts on actions to be taken in order to facilitate adoption of the Anti-piracy law by the House of Representatives and its further implementation, in compliance with international standards.
N.B.: the above outlined scope of services is neither exhaustive nor definitive; it may change in time, due to Mission security/operational requirements and/or security situation in the partner country. In case of launch of the tender, the outlined scope of work will be further detailed and specified, as deemed appropriate by the Contracting Authority.
Project Management: The Services Provider will act under the direct authority of EUCAP Somalia Operations Unit, Field Office Garowe or his/her designated Deputy.
7. Indicative budget
EUR 18,000.00 – EUR 20,000.00
8. Indicative timeline
9. Selection criteria
Technical and professional capacity:
10. Supporting documents and annexes to the Call for Expressions of Interest (annexes B & C are available for download on the EUCAP Somalia Procurement Web-page)
· CV of the proposed key expert: The attached CV should only contain information that is relevant and pertinent to the above criteria and shall not exceed three (3) pages.
· A minimum of one (1) authored piece of writing in English (articles, essays, legal opinion, etc.) up to fifteen (15) pages long related to the legal area.
· Application form (Annex A)
· Declaration on honour (Annex B)
· Legal Entity Form (Annex C)
11. Award criteria
In case of launch of the tender, award criteria shall be the best price-quality ratio, in which case the Contracting Authority will take into account the price and other quality criteria linked to the subject matter of the contract, and apply a weighting formula.
This notice & call and its annexes are published and available for download before the deadline from the Contracting Authority website (https://www.eucap-som.eu/business-opportunities/).