Position title: Electronics / Computer Technician
Place of performance: Mogadishu, Somalia
Apply by: 20/08/2020
Start date: 01/10/2020
Duration: up to 2 years 731 days
Qualification: Certificate in Computer Science / Information Systems & Technology..
Sector experience: Minimum of 3 years of demonstrable relevant Biometrics experience and/or minimum of 3 years of demonstrable relevant Information Technology experience.
Geographical experience: Minimum of 3 year of experience in Africa (essential).
Language: Fluency in English and Somali are essential.
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
- Electronics / Computer Technician duties include running performance analyses on electronic devices like biometric machine, print & reporting on results. They also troubleshoot and replace faulty materials. The repair or replacement of faulty kits must be performed within a maximum of 48 hours from receipt & employees will be expected to work the required hours.
- Laxton Group requires between four & six employees that would be able to work together with its project team in Somalia. This role requires staffs that are able to work well with their hands & can follow instruction.
- Employees are expected to work 7 days a week during the registration period. Thereafter work days will be reduced to a 5 to 6 day work week depending on demand.
For higher technical level employees:
- Understand laptops & how to use them with an above average understanding of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint.
- Robust knowledge of programming language(s) would be an advantage. (i.e. Java, C++, Python etc).
- Load & run software on a laptop via USB flash drives provided & where needed troubleshooting software issues that may arise.
- Understanding the workings of batteries, battery systems & Power Control Boards (PCBs).
- Be able to identify & diagnose issues pertaining to faulty connections / power caused by loose cables.
- In the event of cables coming loose, the employee should have a good understanding of the workings of plugs & be able to re-solder cables.
For lower technical level employees:
- Follow instructions accurately.
- Be able to work with commonly used tools in order to fasten, remove, replace & secure various parts of the equipment. Tools would include screw drivers, pliers, side cutters & a variety of other light duty tools.
- The candidates should be able perform manual tasks, that include but are not limited to unpacking, loading & carrying rugged cases that contain equipment without damaging the equipment housed inside of the cases.
- Work well individually & as part of a team, to perform tasks with accuracy in high pressure environments.
- Be able to solve basic problems.
- Being able to speak English would be an advantage.
This role reports to the Project Manager.
Core competencies: – Develops & promotes effective collaboration within & across units to achieve shared goals & optimise results
- Delivering results produces & delivers quality results in a service oriented & timely manner, is action oriented & committed to achieving agreed outcomes
- Managing & sharing knowledge continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge & innovate
- Takes ownership for achieving the organisation’s priorities & assumes responsibility for own action & delegated work
- Encourages & contributes to clear & open communication, explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring & motivational way. Team management
This role does not have any team management responsibility.
Qualified female candidates are highly encouraged to apply for this role.