Position title: Civil Engineers – Talent Pooling
Place of performance: Multiple Cities in Somalia, Somalia
Apply by: 30/06/2020
Start date: 01/07/2020
Duration: up to 1 year 6 months (@26days/month)
Qualification: Master’s degree in Civil Engineering and/or Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering.
Sector experience: Minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Construction experience and/or minimum of 5 years of demonstrable relevant Engineering – Civil experience.
Geographical experience: Minimum of 5 year of experience in Africa (desirable) and/or Middle East (desirable).
Language: Fluency in English is desirable.
CTG stands for Committed To Good. With an ethical approach at the heart of all that we do, it is a description that makes us proud. Respect for the fundamental human rights of our staff, and those our staff encounter, is a cornerstone of our values. We strive for gender equality, inclusion and diversity, providing fair and equal opportunities for all. We take a zero tolerance approach to corruption and stay true to local labour laws and all local statutory requirements. In operation since 2006, today we are honoured to serve clients in 15 fragile and conflict-affected states assisting with disaster relief, peace building, humanitarian aid and development programmes through our specialised recruitment, HR management and operational services.
Overview of position
CTG maintains an international roster of suitably qualified and experienced sector experts to enable proactive provision of top class consultants to our clients globally.
Civil Engineers are responsible for the provision of the design and technical input for civil engineering construction projects.
- Contribute to the civil engineering capacity by providing assessment, design and estimation input to the projects and the task orders being assigned to the unit.
- Proactively engage in site investigations for new works and rehabilitation works, and oversee the site surveying, develop conceptual ideas and design rationale, prepare costs estimates and evaluation of the design alternatives for the client review and approval.
- Review of the proposals and the designs supplied by third parties from design and construction view point, identify gaps and develop appropriate design solutions including new plans and cost estimates for the client approval.
- Analyse change requests and variation requests, and provide technical advice to the decision making process, including advice on possible alternative solutions, with design and estimates.
- Provide technical support during construction, including advice on design modifications to address the encountered site conditions or development of alternative solutions, and the preparation of documentation for the client approval, and oversee the quality control of the works.
- Ensure the design documentations / ‘as constructed’ drawings provided by the third parties or the contractors are in compliance with the established requirements.
- Assist the Project Manager in the performance evaluation of the contractors and suppliers.
- Carry out related duties as instructed by the Project Manager. Such tasks may include assessment of existing facilities for renovation and improvements, or the preparation of designs, specifications, bill of quantities and cost estimates, for new facilities and civil works.
- Ability to conduct independent research and analysis, identify issues, formulate solutions and make conclusions and recommendations.
- Takes pride in work and achievements, demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter, conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results, motivated by professional concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges, remains calm in stressful situations, and takes initiatives for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies, identifies priority activities and assignments, adjusts priorities as required, allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work, foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning, monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary, uses time efficiently.
- Delivers outputs within prescribed time, meets cost and quality standards, operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules, supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments, takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Good interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective working relationship with colleagues and subordinates in a multi-cultural/ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages.
- Ability to successfully communicate conceptual ideas and design rationale, excellent written and oral command of English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language would be an advantage Team management
Varied levels of Team Management experience required.
- A minimum of five years of professional experience in civil engineering related works, including infrastructure/facilities, assessments and design experience is desirable.
- Experience in using AutoCAD software
- Qualified Female Candidates are encouraged to apply